Thursday, January 22, 2009

Uncorked

I split my day-job time between catering and office work. Yesterday, as a break from the regular office day, I took a day-long shift with At Your Service. 12 hours at a wine-tasting event. MISTAKE. For 9 out of the 12 hours, I did practically nothing except watch people SPIT! The tasting took up an entire art gallery, and I was stationed in a room that was set aside for higher-up purchasers from grocery chains, and there were very few of those. As a result, I pretty much stood around all day long, perhaps clearing away a wine glass once an hour on average. Fortunately, the uniform for that day was jeans, T-shirt, and running shoes, which at least made for comfortable standing around. The room I was in, however, was overly air-conditioned (in winter, no less) and so I was rather chilly all day, too. For the final 3 hours I was involved in tidying up the whole gallery, which involved lugging giant spitoons up and down about 12 flights of stairs! I've decided that if I need a break from the office, I'll take a nap under my desk rather than spend an entire day on a catering job.

No comments: