Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Be Seeing You"

I just read the news today that Patrick McGoohan passed away. A wonderful actor whose work I quite enjoyed, he had a nice mix of whimsy and intensity. He is perhaps best known for his iconic counter-culture TV show The Prisoner, a very trippy experience to watch and one of my Dad's all-time favourites. He also was a recurring guest star on Columbo, winning two Emmies for different guest roles. I think his most prominent role in recent years was the villainous Edward the Longshanks in Braveheart. He was actually considered for the role of Professor Dumbledore in the Harry Potter films, but he declined due to age and health concerns. I don't care much for Michael Gambon, and I liked Richard Harris a lot, but I truly think that McGoohan as Dumbledore might have been the best of them all, with a look in his eye -- both ancient and at the same time impish -- that says "I know more than I'm telling."

The title of this entry is the signature farewell of the characters in The Prisoner.

No comments: