Monday, January 12, 2009

Never Left?

As I return to my office job in London, I'm struck by the feeling that I have not actually spent over two months away from it. Y'know that "feels like I never left" feeling? I noticed it the moment I sent a work-related email with a subject line I'd typed hundreds of times before leaving and hadn't used in two months; my fingers typed without even thinking, the muscle memory was so strong. And they say familiarity breeds contempt; go figure.

Men have a reputation for being gadget fiends, and I am no exception to this traditional stereotype. I have been thoroughly enjoying my latest toy, an iPod from my darling wifey. It's sleek and fun and cool and distracting and just what I wanted . . . now, if I could only refrain from forgetting it on the dresser before I head off to work, I'll really enjoy it!

My absentmindedness is not solely reserved for electronics, it's also culinary. Brianne had to remind me to put olives on our nacho plate 3 times last night! That's just ludicrous, olives should have to be mentioned only once in a food conversation to make them stick.

It's so nice to have a real friend for a house mate. Matt the Australian next door is a great guy. The three of us watched 7 episodes of The Office together last night. By the last two, when the theme song played, we all sang it in three-part harmony! You just can't beat the bond of the music geek.

This week looks to be be very dedicated to work, but as the social calendar fills, our loyal readers will be informed. Good night and good luck.

No comments: