Friday, May 30, 2008

Like Royal Father, Like Royal Son

After just missing out on serving Prince Charles a few weeks ago, fate tried to soothe the blow last night when I was the wine waiter for Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh (Queen Elizabeth's husband)!

To be honest, it was a very easy night for me because, just like his son Charles, Phillip had not a drop of drink (not even the water I poured at the outset) all night long. After the third time offering wine before dinner and being waved off, I just stopped bothering him.

Last night's event was at St. James Palace, a beautiful old place which required a security check, passport and proof of address to get into. This palace is the actual residence of Prince Charles. As such, we the wait staff were instructed to be silent while leaving the palace courtyard until we were beyond the main gate, "lest we wake His Royal Highness." I admit this conjured in my head of vision of Charles emerging in a huff from some side door wearing a night shirt, floppy night cap and bunny slippers, chasing away noisy waiters with a broom, shouting things like "Scallywags!"

No comments: