Thursday, May 15, 2008

Canterbury Tale Tomorrow - Charles Tonight

First and foremost, my darling wife took us on a wonderful day-trip to Canterbury to see the cathedral the other day. It was a glorious day which I adored sharing with her, but I want to save that story for the next post so I can upload the pics along with it.

In this post . . . last night I served drinks at a benefit attended by PRINCE CHARLES.

Before anyone hyperventilates, neither William nor Harry were with him. Sorry.

I was actually told by my catering company beforehand that I would be serving the Prince myself, but in the end that job went to another guy (an actual British citizen, I might add) and I served the two tables right next to His Highness, so I was walking past him all night. Apparently in order to be allowed in such proximity to his table and my two tables, both myself and the other guy were triple-checked by the British Home Office. Our records were the cleanest, I guess.

I served the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, Sir Richard and Lady Beckett, and some more apparent VIPs I did not know. All of them were nice, polite, and grounded, indistinguishable from any regular person, except the accents were a bit more posh and proper.

Random notes about Prince Charles:
- Upon his arrival, he was served a special martini in his own personal very special glass which was sent on ahead of him to the event. This glass was entirely unremarkable, save for the fact that is was his. Ye Olde Royal Sippy-Cup.
- Aside from this first drink, he imbibed nothing. We were instructed that he would drink nothing but still water the rest of the dinner, but we HAD TO pour him a glass of red and white wine anyway so as not to look out of place at the table.
- Before the Prince and his table guests arrived and sat down, the entire table and each chair was thoroughly inspected by a squadron of five police officers.
- Sitting at a dinner table, the Prince looked just like any tweedy-looking member of your local Legion bar stuffed in a tux. He was more impressive when he took the stage for a speech later on.
- He was very amiable and friendly with all the inner-city kids who had been helped by the charity of the night and were invited to the event. He chatted with them at his table.

All in all, an interesting night. Now if I could just get to an event with Ian McKellan or Judi Dench, some real ACTING royalty, that would be amazing.

No comments: