Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dogs and Other Things

I want a dog. Not going to happen for quite some time, but I want to own a black Lab one day. They're just such soulful, magical dogs. I was reminded how great they were when I met the black Lab of my friend Ed the other day. The dog liked me; any time I stopped petting him, he headbutted me in the crotch. Sorry if I seem indelicate.

Y'know how in North America there was (and perhaps still is) a "fad" of dog breeding in which every mix seemed to involve Poodle somewhere in it? Well, there's a corresponding fad here in England, in that every mix seems to have Bulldog in it. All the dogs around here, from Labs to Daschunds, seem to have that signature Bulldog stockiness. It's an odd sight to see an intimidating weiner dog, I'll tell you.

The last few catering jobs I've had have found me working behind the bar, a change of pace from dinner or canape service. Fairly fun, and you do get a chance to chat with people, but in some cases you are so swamped with thirsty patrons it's all you can do to keep pouring out the bubbly and press it into open hands. Champagne certainly seems to be the thing people will guzzle as long as it's free.

The only real London landmark I've seen this week (work's been crazy) was Camden Market on Sunday. Camden is a truly crazy mish-mash of vintage clothing, antiques, collectibles, novelties, art, food vendors, precious junk, and jewellery made out of cutlery. I'm serious about the last one, there was a stand at which a metal smith was bending and twisting forkes into bracelets and spoons into rings. They looked pretty cool, actually.

Looking forward to some eventual down time to relax and see some more of the city. Especially hoping to take a Ghost Walk, and see how it compares to Ottawa!

2 comments:

xfreezingxnotex said...

Bring home an English bulldog. Call him Jeeves and he'll be the ultimate souvenir of your British adventure. Then you can breed him to a throng of Canadian dachshunds and become a millionaire. With the resulting riches you buy me the pony I wanted for Christmas!

I've seen the cutlery jewelry before, in Montreal I believe. Or maybe it was in Italy. Hmm. I'm getting old and riddled with memory loss. Ack. Maybe that's where all the forks in my kitchen went?!?! We had a ton of them until recently, and we're now down to 6. Not even enough for one fork per person in the house. Boo-urns my friend. Boo-urns.

If you could choose one line from Rent and only one, what would it be? (My random inquiry for this comment).

Still haven't seen Indiana Jones yet. Have you? Maybe we'll see it together at Christmas, the rate I'm going.

I sent you a letter. I hope you're at the same address or some random elderly lady will be reading your mail - a situation I was hoping ended when you left Etobicoke.

I graduated yesterday. It was long. Boring. Tedious. Mundane. Dull. Dry. Bland. Sub-par. Le sigh...

I have not catered nor provide bar tending services in the past months. Can you see me doing either? If there was a world record for spilling food and beverages on people, I would be the ultimate champion.

I see your maid turned 18 yesterday (Amanda). All the youngin' Tuckers are growing up.

Hmmm... what else can I bore you two blondies with? I think I'm fresh out.

Behave on the ghost walk Wobbles. They only need ONE tour guide, and I know you know more that they do. Behave. Or I will spank you.

Hugs xxx

-Tanya

xfreezingxnotex said...

He he. Wait for it - it comes after the first 30 seconds. Had to share.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sqf_tgX4i94