Friday, October 17, 2008

The Return of the Beast

I realise that I have not written up about my last leg of adventure on the Beastie – I would like to say that it is because I am still recovering, but in all honesty it is because auditions recently have been doing rather well. (Yeah!)
Flashback to September 8th: I met my driver Sean over at the AYS unit around 10 in the morning, with the Beastie unfortunately still fully intact. (Damn my luck!)We were about to embark on a four day driving tour of Cornwall and Devon to once more show off how wonderful whiskey and cheese go together. Sometimes I still can’t believe I get paid for this.
Cornwall is approximately a five or so hour drive away from London – but readers might remember that the Beastie is only able to do 55 mph at the best of times, and that the air flow comes directly up through the vehicle onto my face. So in fact it took us much closer to 8 hours to get to our destination of Penzance, Cornwall. (Que music and Gilbert & Sullivan!) It’s a little seaside town where the industry resolves around the sister of Mont Saint Michael in Brittany, France: Saint Michael’s Mount is what it is named over here and I was able to see it from the coast line. Sean and I were put up in a lovely little Bed and Breakfast place called The Corner House that was right across the street from the Ocean. Here’s the best part: Sean and I were put up in separate rooms and I got the Ocean view room with a large queen sized bed all to myself. The only thing Sean had that I didn`t was a bathtub – and he let me use it! It didn`t have a plug so I used one of my socks to plug the drain and then filled up the tub. Ladies and Gentlemen this was my first bath in five months and I loved every single second of it.
The next day we woke up to have breakfast (home made) downstairs with all the other renters and headed out to Bayswater near Newquay. There I saw something that nearly had me jumping up in down. Tanya probably will know what I am talking about. Years ago Jim Henson made a film with Angelica Houston called The Witches and over in Newquay is the hotel that they filmed in the movie. It is so massive and set apart from everything else that you cannot miss it – especially since it`s out on a rock, almost on the brink of the sea.
That afternoon we spent on the Bayswater beach, trying to convince surfers to try some whiskey to warm them up. I was standing right under Jamie Olivers restaurant and talked to a few Canadians. (Canadians, from Saskatchewan, surfing here! Isn`t California a lot closer and ummmm WARMER)
Then drove over to Mousehole (it lives up to it`s name) to find an address that doesn`t exist. When we actually did find the address that were supposed to be at, it was close to 9 p.m. and we did a quick tasting for 8 people.
You know those moments where you realise that you have said something inappropriate and want to crawl into a hole in the earth but there is no exit in sight. I had one of those. I was speaking to a young german girl about wines, whiskeys and other types of alcohol. She said that she enjoyed sweet wines and I replied by suggesting some jewish vintages. Did you see it, the moment that I fudged up? I could hear my inner studio audience just groaning at my suggestion. Why, oh why, could I not have thought of Ice wine first?

So onto day two: with three stops in total. First was Falmouth where the tall ships were being displayed. I would have to say this is where we had the best turn out for people willing to try the whiskey. Then onto Hail – not much to say there as there is nothing in Hail and I doubt very much I would ever return. We finished the night back in Mousehole with a party of pirates who were all ready and willing to try Arrrrdbeg! (According to their hired butler the group had gone through a week’s worth of booze in one day – it showed.)

The one stop on our third day (after an amazing breakfast with homemade sausages) was the town of Dartmouth – extremely pretty little seaside town with some of the nicest people I have met in Britain.

During our many hours of being on the road my driver, Sean, and I came up with The Ardbeg Drinking Game. It’s a very simple game that revolved around the idea of if we could drink while driving or if there were secret cameras inside the Beastie then the viewing audience would have to drink whenever we did the following: (It would not take long to get extremely sauced.)
Every time we have to turn around as we missed a turn or an exit
Every time that I blame Sean for the smell of the animal pastures that we are passing
Every time I swore
Every time The Beastie stalled while in the middle of a street, a turn, or an intersection
Every time we had to fill up the gas tank
Every time we were passed by a driver and then passed them five minutes later (with one guy this happened at least five times on the same highway)
Every time we were honked at for going too slowly

It’s a very simple game – but I am sure it would be fun.
The little topper of the trip was on the drive home. Sean knew that I hadn’t seen Stonehenge yet – so on the way back we took a little detour. The site was closed for the day, so we pulled over on the side of the road and walked up to the fence that surrounds is. In some ways it was better for me, as there was no one walking around the site I didn’t have to worry about having strangers in my pictures. It was a lovely end to my little getaway.

No comments: