Wednesday, October 15, 2008

White Men Can't Sway

This past weekend Andrew and his group from Me and My Girl performed in Covent Garden to gather interest in their show on the 26th of October. (Yes, I have tickets as well as a date.And I promise I will try to sneak a camera in there to get some photography of Andrew playing a Cockney.)

They had two sets of twenty minutes to perform songs from other musicals, otherwise it would be considered cheating. Below I have video from one of the more popular songs - and if you can't hear what I am trying to narrate - I had something like "How do you like that, Tanya?"


In reference to the title: I Can't say White Men Can't Jump because I know my husband plays basketball rather well and would like to play it more often. (Incidentally: One day while passing a basketball court he expresse an interest in teaching me how to play. Very cute honey - hell hasn't quite frozen over - we shall see where the credit crunch leaves us.)

However; as per usual, choir directors feel that they must come up with some sort of choreography for their group to make it interesting for the viewer. This inevitably leads to the most common of choreo: the sway and step: repeat as necessary or until music changes.

I try to rack my brains for something else that might be a little more imaginative but just as simple and I`m afraid all I can come up with are moves that would remind everyone of the Thriller dance. Any suggestions are welcome.


Onto other news: It appears that Andrew may be leaving to go back to Canada earlier than anticipated. He has been offered a role with a company that he worked for 2 years ago and should he accept and it is reasonably priced to fly back early, he may be back as soon as November 8th. I don`t want to say much more until the details are finalised as I may very well be counting chickens before they hatch. Either way I should be enjoying a decent omelette.


As for now, I shall leave you with the video clip and a photo that shows my husband has the talent (unlike myself) to be caught - even while singing - with his mouth closed. I need to take a leaf off of his branch and learn his secret.

No comments: