Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Various Musings

This title sounds a little more poetic than "Random Thoughts," figured I'd give it a try.

During the half-marathon this past Sunday, while pointing the multitude of runners (apparently nearly 12,000 of them) in the right direction, I noticed a few of the participants conspicuously standing out from the throng by wearing very odd costumes. I saw quite a few silly wigs, ranging from black Afro to rainbow clown to tinsel mullet. I saw two Supergirl outfits and two banana costumes, as well as a giant beer bottle ensemble. There were Woody and Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story. The pinacle, however, were a pair of men wearing the infamous green "slingshot-style" bikini of the movie character Borat. Google this image if you dare. In the words of Douglas Adams, it " . . . has to be seen to be believed, but if you don't have any particular need to believe it, then don't go and look because you won't enjoy it."

Both Brianne and I continue to battle our colds. We managed to find our secret weapon for sore throats -- Oil of Oregano -- but the formula here doesn't seem as potent at back home. We've been having lots of soup, tea, and the mixture we call "Gollum Juice," which is a concoction of hot water, lemon juice, ginger root and honey. I got this recipe from a director at Randolph, and later learned that the actor who played Gollum in The Lord of the Rings trilogy used the same stuff to ease his throat from using that raspy voice (a voice he modelled after the sound his cats made when expelling hairballs).

I've been formulating odd lists in my head.

List of Bands with Proper Place Names:
America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Alabama, Chicago, Boston

List of Actresses with Distinctly Low Voices:
Mercedes Rheul, Bea Arthur, Kathleen Turner

Any thoughts on additions to these, please post a comment.

George Carlin passed away a few months ago. He has always been one of my favourite comedians. I felt he was a true genius in the way that he examined the English language, confronted heavy issues along with silly trivialities, and really made you think about the big things and little things in life. His points of view were often controversial, even I didn't agree with all of them, but the fact is he made me consider them even if I disagreed. He is noted as a major influence on every new generation of stand-up comic, and his legendary Seven Words You Can't Say on Television bit is a part of U.S. free-speech history. He will be missed.

No comments: