Sunday, September 21, 2008

Thoughts which haven't a leg to stand on

I can make puns too, though my limping wifey's are better.

We've been icing and elevating as best we can, but my B is a trooper. In a line of strong women, she's one of the strongest I know. Perhaps we'll move on to frozen brussel sprouts next. It's better than eating them.


We recently did a very small catering job at a fashion show for London's Fashion Week. And before you get on my case about "Hey hey! Checking out the models, huh?" let me assure you that the skewed unattainable "ideal" of the catwalk high-fashion model is actually quite repugnant to me. These girls looked so thin as to be sickly; "a famine relief poster with style," as a favourite book of mine says. The job was just me, Brianne, and another AYS girl handing out about 45 glasses of champagne to entourage of the event. They literally disappeared in seconds. The designer Julien MacDonald (see below) downed about five straight before the show even started; he was very nervous.



I did another job last night with a bit of celebrity flair. It was the Alliance Ball to benefit UNICEF. One of the auction items was a motorcycle driven by Ewan MacGregor in his bike trip around the world. I thought of my dad as the bids peaked at £32,000. The opening act for the entertainment of the night was Escala, a string quartet that competed on Britain's Got Talent, which I've mentioned in the past. Good musicians that happen to look like cover girls. If this sounds familiar, there was a another quartet a few years ago called Bond, with the same "formula." The headliner for the night was the guy who sang the song Tainted Love! He brought down the house.

Brianne and I ventured forth from the house today (gingerly) to explore a park just north of us called Alexandra Park. Lovely views from it's rolling hills, plus a farmer's market today where we got some sausage buns and cupcakes for lunch. At the peak of the hills in Alexandra Palace, an odd but stately building we've yet to find much info for yet, save the fact that it houses a year-round ice rink and is nicknamed "Ally Pally." How drole.

No comments: