Thursday, September 25, 2008

Damn the torpedoes!

Ventured south of the Thames for an interesting little AYS job at the Imperial War Museum the other day. The main feature of the front of the building property were a pair of massive 30-foot long gun barrells that fired from a boat on D-Day. Just behind that was an actual section of the Berlin Wall, painted with revolutionary graffiti. I set up the bar for the drinks reception directly between a WWII tank and a mobile cannon, with a Sopwith Camel and a Nazi lutwaffe plane of the type that dive-bombed Harrison Ford and Sean Connery in The Last Crusade just above my head. The fifth floor the building was actually titled Crimes Against Humanity. To say the job was a bit surreal understates things.

There was one exhibit that I had heard about and had wanted to visit there, which was a tribute to Ian Flemming and his historical experiences which inspired James Bond. I got a chance to sneak in and look around before we set up the bar. It was interesting, with interactive displays and a selection of Bond memorabilia, but I'm glad I saw it on the sly rather than paying eight quid for it.

No comments: