Thursday, July 17, 2008

Now, bring me that horizon

I had a really fun catering gig the other day on a tall-masted sailing ship called the SB May, which set sail from London Bridge City Pier to cruise the Thames. The vessel was entirely wooden and very rustic and authentic-looking. I know that it was quite old, but I can't remember how old. The serving crew consisted of me and another girl from AYS, plus the cook and the bartender. We served a three-course meal in the cabin below deck for 22 members of Saab, the car manufacturer. Some of their number were also members of the Swedish Air Force. The ride was quite smooth, except when one of the heavily motorized tour boats whizzed past, then their wake tossed us a bit. The scenery was great, mostly swanky riverside real estate, but the highlight was watching Tower Bridge being raised just for us to sail under! The trip lasted about 3 hours and was very refreshing, no sea-sickness at all. The guests were nice and my co-workers were very friendly. It's exactly the type of catering job I most enjoy - small and relaxed, with an atmospere that makes me feel like I'm serving guests out of my own kitchen, just as I felt at the Royal Ascot. I only wish I had brought my camera to catch the Bridge moment and the ship decor, but I've found it's really awkward trying to fit in photo ops while you're supposed to be working.

Incidentally, in case you didn't know, the bridge that you usually see in scenic shots of London with the ornate stonework and sweeping spans is, in fact, Tower Bridge, not London Bridge. London Bridge, while historic as a landmark, is utterly unremarkable to look it. Just as the nursery rhyme suggests, it's had to be rebuilt so much over time to sustain the traffic using it. Now it just looks like any other simple concreate and steel span, without opening capabilities.

No comments: