Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Mother of All Department Stores

Brianne and I entered the hallowed halls of Harrod's yesterday. This place makes The Bay look like Dollarama. I swear it is the first time in my life I'd ever seen £139 (approx $300) cashmere sweaters sold out of bins. BINS, I tell you! Like they were irregular socks or something! The prices were insane, but of course it was the highest-quality, top-brand blah blah blah. I predict at some point the ludicrously rich won't even bother wearing their designer outfits, they'll just walk around naked holding the PRICE TAG in front of them, as an ironic update to the story of the Emperor's New Clothes.

The store was quite impressive and oppulent, with high-fashion clothing, sparkly jewellery, and even a section of gourmet food and drink. One thing that struck me is that, contrary to what one might assume with such high-end merchandise, the staff were very open and friendly rather than snooty and dismissive of the riff-raff. I guess Harrod's is a tourist attraction in itself and the staff are quite accustomed to those of us who are "just looking."

No comments: