Friday, February 6, 2009

Return of the Random Thoughts

Once again I subject our loyal readers to the disconnected musings of my well-meaning but increasingly enfeebled brain!

The morning commute can help you discover the oddest paradoxes. The other day I found myself wedged between two tube riders, one of which stank of foul body odor, the other who reeked of Ivory soap! I actually found Soap Man harder to deal with.

I've had the chance to ride several English trains into the areas surrounding London, and it's a great way to travel. They're all rather "light rail" in nature, something like the GO Trains of Toronto (without being double decker.) I wish against wish that Ottawa would remove it's major sensory organs from it's sphincter, realize that the dedicated bus lane along the 417 is a pointless joke, and put in a light rail. By the by, has the strike been settled YET?

Brianne and I have discovered a new favourite take-out restaurant called Nando's. It's a chicken joint specializing in Portuguese barbecue, and it's a rather popular chain in London. Brianne tried it whilst on her tour and got me addicted in short order. The Portuguese spice is called
Piri Piri and it is mind-blowing, so we tend to go for the milder version of Mango and Lime.

I've mentioned the snow here in London, but I have not mentioned the cold. Granted it is balmy here compared to the frigid conditions of home-sweet-home, but there's a subtle difference in the chill here. It's a moister cold here, so even if the temperature is relatively mild, the nip of the wind goes through to your bones. Thank goodness for our little block heater.

Parting shots: Odd little observational humour from the morning paper.

When people who manufacture drawing boards want to start over, what do they go back to?

If sign-makers are on strike, how do they display their discontent?

Striking two halves of a pistachio shell together gives the impression that a very small horse is approaching.

No comments: