Friday, April 17, 2009

When Did This Become A Beauty Contest?

I have a problem: I am not a visible minority. Nor, am I 'at least 5 foot 10 inches' or 'startlingly beautiful.' What does that even mean? Luckily I still have work in theatre right now, but as I look around for future work (preferably Shakespeare in the summer and a large Panto for Christmas) all I can find on public posts are for the following.
1. Looking for Asian woman age range 50-70 to look confused and then happy.
2. For outdoor performance of Midsummer Nights Dream. Helena. Female age 20-30. Must be at least 5 foot 10
3. For Music Video or Promo videoor Feature Film. Gorgeous, Startlingly beautiful girls needed. Modelesque\
4. (My favourite) For television series. Any age range female. Must be ugly or crone like. No pretty girls please.

Damn, if only I wasn't in the mid-range of looks. Here I am, stuck at the absurd height of five foot four and with failry average looks. If only I had been born slightly uglier - I would have the theatre job market set right now. Hmm, I wonder - what if I were to go in and black out some of my teeth, wear a bit of a fat suit and put lots of pimples on - would that help? There's nothing I can do about the height. I tried putting on my tallest pair of heels and even then I barely stand at five foot seven.

As for the startingly beautifyl looks - I tried cutting out a magazine ad and taping it to my face, but I don't think that's what they had in mind with their ad.

The real issue hear is - what if someone who was able to make the works come off the page and was perfect in every single way except for their height; does it really matter? Do people worry about this style of casting when they are hiring Kate Winslet or Angela Lansbury? I can just imagine that casting conversation.

1: Sir, we have Angela Lansbury here for you to see, we thought she would be perfect for the job.
2: Why did you think that?
1: Well, you said you wanted an older actress with lots of umbridge, someone who had a background in song and dance and is comfortable on camera. Someone people would recognize and respect.
2. That's all well and good, but she's too short. Is it possible to dig up Gloria Swanson? I always liked her look....

No comments: